The end of the Eldridge foundry

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Aug 26 17:34:36 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Giles Blundell"
<GRBlundell at a...> wrote:
> Richard Offen (I think):
>

> > > George Elphick (Sussex Bells and Belfries) says he was a change
> > > ringer and elected to the College Youths in 1649. George also
> > > indicates that the foundry simply closed, with no hint of a
> > takeover.
> > >

> - a small point, but how likely is a foundry to 'just close'? I can
well imagine a scenario where there is no formal takeover, but surely
anyone going out of business would try to get what they could for
their assets? As a more recent example, didn't Whitechapel buy the
tuning kit from G+J?

No, WBF bought one of the tuning machines, Taylors have all the
tuning forks, etc.

R.