[Bell Historians] Resin pads

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Mon Aug 30 14:09:56 BST 2004

> What make you think it's the resin pad causing this?
>
> R Offen

[1. There is nothing else could be, unless all five bells were cracked
(which they aren't), and anyway I have observed the same phenomoenon
elsewhere.

2. Said pads cover too wide an area of the crowns (i.e. they come out
further towards the shoulder than you can get away with).

It is, of course, all part of the fact that modern bellhangers dislike
canons, and try to force them onto metal stocks which they weren't designed
for. Certainly a resin pad of the kind I am describing is an unacceptable
mutilation of an old bell, visually as well as tonally. Also, how do you
get them off when you need to? C D]