[Bell Historians] Re: Warner headstocks

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Dec 8 11:44:47 GMT 2004

david at b... writes:

> Unfortunately yes - the back two are quite hard to get up on the
correct
> side and are a little sluggish to ring. All except the 7th had new
gudgeons
> fitted prior to the 1995 restoration but twiddle pins were added
in 1995.

So what exactly did the rehang entail? I've rung there a couple of
times in the last few months, and had noticed that the back bells
(particularly the 7th) were a little sluggish.

David

Bob Parker rehung them with new gudgeons and bearings in the late 1980's
(from memory). The 7th had been fitted with ball bearings prior to this although
these were relaced as part of the scheme. They sounded rather wierd, the 2&7
being 1912 Warner, a bright 1950's Taylor 6th (Which was almost the same
note as the 5th) and the remainder Rudhall. The sound before retuning still
makes me cringe when I think about it.

During 1994-5 they were taken out and retuned by Whitechapel (one of the
best retuning jobs I have heard to this day) and are now a very grand ring for
their weight. The other bells were brought up in tonal quality to match the
good 6th, although the treble and 3rd aren't quite as good as the others. The
tenor now weighs 14-1-9 in E flat. Apart from gudgeons & bearings and the odd
clapper or two, thay are still on the 1912 frame and fittings. Sadly the
central holes aren't quite large enough to iron out all odd-struckness using the
twiddle pins, but thay're not bad at all.

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,
Jasmine Cottage,