[Bell Historians] Norwich, S Andrew

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Dec 8 18:31:51 GMT 2004

They have not been rung since 1890 and were considered to be 'unpealable'
long before that. Gilbert Thurlow as Priest-in-Charge there in 1945 and had
the remains of the wheels etc removed. The ECA (Taylor c1890) is much used
on the back 8.
Frame for the back 8 is all of one build, c1705, 6 below and 2 above, the
back six being in an octagonal frame. The latter is pretty massive but the
foundation is none too good. The upper frame is more flimsy and the 1820's
extension on a 3rd tier for the two 'orrible trebles is flimsier still, in
fact horizonatal iron bars were put across the pits which would present
swinging.

I did look into the possibility when I was DAC Bells Adviser 1972-7 and also
talked to Gilbert - who was Adviser before me - about it. He produced some
interesting proposals of his time, involving new frame & fittings, but much
depended on repairing the tower - the bells are much too high up. I think
that Paul may have looked ar it as well.

An amusing 'spook' was carried out a few years back when ropes were hung
doen through the metal guides into the ringing chamber and the tower was
advertised as 'open' - which it was!

So as far as I am aware, the answer is 'no'.

DLC