"HB" at G&J?

Carl S. Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Dec 14 19:47:15 GMT 2004

I've been contacted by someone who has acquired one of the G&J treble
bells from the original (1924) carillon of St.Stephen's Church,
Cohasset, Massachusetts, USA. (See
http://www.gcna.org/data/MACOHASS.HTM) She describes it thus:
"It has a #14 on it, as well as a diamond with the letters HB
inside it. There is also a circle with the letters CFJ. There is
faint lettering 19_ Co_asset Mas USA."

The "14" must be the sequence number of the bell in the carillon;
since the instrument was pitched in E, this must be the treble G
bell. (Since the description is so detailed, I presume that the bell
does not carry a serial number.)

The "CFJ" must be the initials of Cyril F. Johnston; but what would
the "HB" mean"?

Carl