Derwent Woodland

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Dec 14 21:39:13 GMT 2004

Thanks to those who have so far replied to my queries regarding Derwent Woodlands. I confess I had forgotten that we had discussed it before!

>From looking at DLCs earlier email and at GAD and Pat Halls' books on Derbyshire bells, we appear to have the following information about the ring of 4 bells, all cast by Taylor's in 1901:

1. JOHN TAYLOR & CO * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * LEICESTERSHIRE *
(31", 6-0-17, C)

2. JOHN TAYLOR & CO * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * LEICESTERSHIRE * / (vine border)
(32 1/2", 6-1-27 in B)

3. (inscription unknown)
(36 1/4", 8-2-16, A)

4. COLONEL J.C. CAVENDISH GAVE US AND THE TAYLORS OF LOUGHBOROUGH MADE US 1901
(40 1/2", 12-3-6, G)

DLC states that the bells were fitted with cast iron stocks and frame, however, GAD states that the bells were hung in a "strong English oak frame"

As regards the fate of the bells, GAD states that the treble went to St Philip's Chaddesden to become the single bell. I forgot to photocopy this entry from the book so don't have it to hand (I'm using the copies from work - most of my bell books are at my parents' house several hundred miles away). The 2nd went to Scarcliffe to become 3/5 (now 6/8). This bell is listed under the Scarcliffe entry. The two bell crowns at Scarcliffe are actually from two of Scarcliffe's own bells, not those from Derwent Woodlands.

The Derwent Woodlands entry in the book states that both of the back two went to Chelmorton to make a treble and tenor. However, the Chelmorton entry only mentions one bell, recast into the treble. The tenor there was a recast of an existing bell at Chelmorton. Part of the inscription on the treble reads:

I WAS RECAST BY TAYLORS OF LOUGHBOROUGH 1960 FROM A BELL OF DERWENT GIVEN BY COL:J.C. CAVENDISH 1901

Clearly, therefore, this was cast from the Derwent tenor.

>From all of the above, there would appear to be the following outstanding questions:

1) What happened to the 3rd bell? Did it in fact go to Chelmorton as scrap to help pay for the work there?

2) What were the frame and fittings? The two descriptions appear contradictory. There are a number of pictures of the tower (which appears to have stood at the north-western corner of the church) on the web, and it appears very small - would the bells have fitted in a timber frame or would it have needed to be a cast iron H frame?

3) Were parts of the frame or any of the fittings reused anywhere after removal?

I will try to get a copy of the book on the creation of the reservoir. Looking on the web it appears that it is easily and fairly cheaply available.

So, over to DLC and GAD!

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/