[Bell Historians] Derwent Woodland

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Dec 15 18:16:49 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

I have looked at a copy of the JT report of 1933 and it is not specific as =
to the nature of the frame and fittings - it deals only with the parts whic=
h needed attention - viz the bearings (Heywood lubricators), clapper joints=
(bushed with lignum vitae), 2nd stay (type not stated), pulleys and "All t=
he ironwork of the fittings and of the framework is red with rust."

As the bells were installed in 1901 it is reasonable to suppose that they h=
ad cast-iron headstocks etc and probably "Hastings" stays. The wording of t=
he report led me to anticipate an iron frame as the tower was indeed very s=
mall, compare Bamford-in-the-Peak with which the parish was united.The old =
steel ring at Bamford were in a timber frame (or rather three two bell fram=
es one above the other) in a similarly very small tower. However, it may be=
that JT & Co were referring to the tie rods, angles &c in the "strong oak =
frame" GAD refers to; the job book will no doubt reveal all.

Vic Hallam's book has a picture of the tower being blown up. BBC2's Learnin=
g Zone had a thing last year about supplying water to Sheffield, and there =
was a fair bit about the building of the Ladybower, even showing (silent) f=
ootage of the last service in Derwent Church, and shots of it being dismant=
led down to the lower courses and leaving the tower and spire. At High Wate=
r, the water was just below the string-course beneath the paired 2-light be=
lfry windows. Following the 1947 drought the tower was blown up and there w=
as some sad film of that.=20

The ruins are still visible in drought conditions only. The Ladybower is no=
w a fine and beautiful part of the landscape: I remember being driven acros=
s it by Harry Parkes with some bells put in at Hathersage. On a cloudy and =
gloomy day, though, it does have a haunted atmosphere.=20=20=20

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20