[Bell Historians] Whitwell on the Hill

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Sun Dec 19 23:00:43 GMT 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, jshe726707 at a... wrote:
> david at b... writes:
>
> . Rang there in 1970 . Sad that they aren't now hung as a
> ring.
>

> Jim Shepard

They are.
Bells 4,5,6 have had wheels removed only.
Bells 1,2,3 have wheels (bottom qaurter missing) and all have stays
and sliders apart from 4th stay is missing and third slider is
missing.
All retain pulleys, and are free to swing.
Frame is tie rodded, and is a generally in good condition.
I do wonder if they should have been given some general
maintainance, and all six rung for limited periods, in the hope that
money may become available for a rehang in a new frame with a more
sensible layout- saying that, the tower seems not too badly
constructed.
We (DJB and me) were told that the Ellacombe unit is used at
present.
The installation was not as bad as I had thought it would be.

Alan