New Jersey query

CIL New Jersey cil_nj at y...
Wed Dec 22 21:50:22 GMT 2004

I am collecting examples of the inscriptional use of
Latin in New Jersey, USA, and so far have found print
references to two church bells signed by Thomas Mears
of London. One is at Old Paramus Church, Ridgewood,
and inscribed (according to the print source) "Thos.
Mears. Fecit London 1801." The other is at Old North
Church, Dumont, and reported to read "Thomas Mears of
London Fecit 1801."

As both bells are in the towers where they were
originally installed, visiting them will be no mean
feat. I am curious as to whether anyone on the list
(1) is aware of photographs of these bells, (2) knows
of other Mears productions which found their way to
New Jersey, or (3) can point me to other bells in the
state which may be inscribed all or partly in Latin.

I would appreciate any and all helpful messages.
Please address them to me off list (cil_nj at y...),
even if you copy your reply to the group. Many
thanks!

=====
Greg Guderian
New Jersey Latin Inscriptions Project