[Bell Historians] non standard tuning

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Feb 17 22:04:08 GMT 2004

> I think this is an excellent suggestion.

To be honest, I don't. Whilst the founder may well not have been intending
anything in particular other than getting a sharper or flatter note than
that of existing bell(s), we cannot know what they intended and I think that
any meaningful description of what exists should be based on modern
terminology, otherwise it serves no purpose. Anybody with some musical
knowledge would know what a dorian (for example) six was, but an "old style"
six is a meaningless term, and one which in my experience is often a
euphemism for a load of of old buckets.