[Bell Historians] 3 levels...

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at v...
Fri Feb 27 10:47:44 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Matthew

Two of the three Warner (1882) bells at Upton Scudmore, Wilts, sold during =
the 1950s. Only the tenor remaining and hung dead for chiming and by the cl=
ock - by Whitechapel.=20

LANDFORD, Wilts: originally a three in three tiers - c.1858 when church was=
built. Don't know who cast them Warner or Mears?) but I recall the plain b=
earings remaining in situ. Evidently they didn't last long as they were rep=
laced by six Harrington Latham tubes.

Neil.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: matthewhigby at a...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 10:20 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] 3 levels...

In a message dated 27/02/2004 00:31:43 GMT Standard Time, mike at mikecheste=
r.demon.co.uk writes:

When was the last 3 tier frame=20
constructed??????!

Grace Dieu I would imagine. Another candidate must be Wilton (Taunton). I=
know the 2 tier frame at the Forset Guernsey was augmented with another ti=
er (and a very good little 6 they are too!). I am pretty sure the frame at =
St Ewe was (re)constructed recently too.

I suppose you could argue that St Ewe is the only real 3 tier bellframe o=
ut of these - the others being 3 tier installations - i.e. separate frames =
mounted one above the other.

Are the 3 at Upton Scudamore, Wilts really on 3 levels??

There could be another quite soon - watch this space........

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,
Jasmine Cottage,
The Street,
Chilcompton,
Bath,
BA3 4HN.

www.bell-hangers.com=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20