No subject

David Bryant david at b...
Sun Jan 11 13:26:22 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Anne Willis has asked me to forward the following to the list. The pictures
are attached, and anyone who reads via the web or digest (& therefore
doesn't get them) please email me direct if you want them.

David

Two unknown bells spotted in a local shop (West Wiltshire area). The owner,
who has requested anonymity, has no idea where they came from. They were
acquired by his late father, probably in the Bath/West Wiltshire area. Can
anyone help with founder etc.

Bell 1. Diameter 17½"; height 19" ; cast in crown staple.
Inscription; THOMAS [decoration] HOVLDIN C W [same decoration] 1674
[same decoration].
The bell looks as if it has been painted at some time, and there are marks
round the bottom lip which made me wonder if it had been skirted.

Photos webbell8; webbell18

Bell 2. circumference round lip c.54"; height, 24" No inscription.

Photos webbell2; webbell3