[Bell Historians] Flat crowns

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Mon Jan 12 17:59:07 GMT 2004

The Whitechapel bells at Petham were cast with "ugly Doncaster heads" (I
don't personally find them particularly ugly) as late as 1923.

Warners stopped canons altogether as part of their 1910 revolution. But
they cast some bells, both in rings and otherwise, flat-topped earlier, e.g.
Bryanston tenor in 1898 and a bell formerly in the ring at Harston, Leics.,
as early as 1873. GAD will confirm, but I think this latter bell might have
been cast with canons only to have them removed because of shortage of space
in the belfry.

C D