[Bell Historians] Flat crowns

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Mon Jan 12 19:52:15 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

In fact only the front five bells at Petham (6, M&S 1923) have "ugly" Donca=
ster heads as frequently used by that firm, Warners and Gilletts. The tenor=
has a "beautiful" flat head, as used by Taylors. I suppose beauty (or ugli=
ness) is in the eye of the beholder, depending whose name is on the bell :)

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Susan Dalton=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Flat crowns

The Whitechapel bells at Petham were cast with "ugly Doncaster heads" (I=
=20
don't personally find them particularly ugly) as late as 1923.

Warners stopped canons altogether as part of their 1910 revolution. But
they cast some bells, both in rings and otherwise, flat-topped earlier, e=
.g.
Bryanston tenor in 1898 and a bell formerly in the ring at Harston, Leics=
.,
as early as 1873. GAD will confirm, but I think this latter bell might h=
ave
been cast with canons only to have them removed because of shortage of sp=
ace
in the belfry.

C D

>> Subject : Re: [Bell Historians] Flat crowns
>> I am sure that this subject has been raised before but I would be grat=
eful
>> if someone could tell me when bells were first cast with flat crowns, =
WBF,
>> Taylor and Warner bells in particular and did it apply to all sizes of=
bell?

> Taylor's started casting the back bells of rings (usually the tenor of =
six,
> back two or three of 8, and back three or four of ten or 12) with flat
> crowns and the rest with canons in the late 1860s / 1870s. In the mid-1=
890s
> canons disappeared altogether.
>
> Whitechapel and Warner's were later - early decades of C20. From the la=
tter
> decades of the C19 up until then the tended to use ugly Doncaster Heads=
.

> David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20