[Bell Historians] Flat crowns

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Jan 12 22:20:26 GMT 2004

"In fact only the front five bells at Petham (6, M&S 1923) have "ugly"
Doncaster heads as frequently used by that firm, Warners and Gilletts. The
tenor has a "beautiful" flat head, as used by Taylors. I suppose beauty (or
ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder, depending whose name is on the bell
:)"

Irrespective of who uses them, I think they're ugly, unsightly things - as
are the angular canons used by Taylor's in the 1880s. My preference is for
proper curved canons with an argent, and if they're ornamented all the
better!