[Bell Historians] Flat Crowns

Chris Povey cmpovey at 3...
Tue Jan 13 23:01:58 GMT 2004

> > Yes! - see attached photo of the second at Pebworth, cast in 2002.
>
> That looks like a Doncaster Head to me!
>
> David

That's precisely what it is, because that is what Whitechapel said it would
provide. The other 2002-cast bell (the treble of the 10) has the same, as do
the two 1995-cast bells (the present 3rd & 4th bells). The photo also
answers Bill's question about the type of stock on which the new bells are
hung. Although the stock in the photo looks exactly like a Whitechapel one,
but isn't. When
the 1995 bells went in, the idea was to match the 'up-and-over' Whitechapel
stocks on all the 6 bells hung/rehung by Whites in 1986. Unfortunately,
Whitechapel had stopped making this style of stock a few years previously
and wouldn't provide more. Hayward Mills had two stocks fabricated to the
Whitechapel pattern; and later did the same for the 2002 bells.

Chris Povey