Flat heads (more) - wakey, wakey JEC!

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Fri Jan 16 00:14:16 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

At Whitechapel, they used to call then Denison heads - not Doncaster heads.=
Either Alan or Bill Hughes once told me that the first Mears & Stainbank b=
ell with a flat top was at Bishops Cannings (Wilts) in 1897.=20=20

Barwell of Birmingham produced bells with Doncaster heads from 1880 and con=
tinued to use them occasionally until the eve of World War I. Some of their=
rings have Doncasters on the lighter bells and flat tops on the tenors. Th=
ere are flat topped bells from 1894, if not earlier

Carrs of Smethwick cottoned on to the advantages of flat tops by about 1903=
, and most of their bells thereafter were cast without canons

CP