[Bell Historians] archives

LOVE, Dickon dickon.love at a...
Thu Jul 1 12:21:57 BST 2004

"I now know how to download the archives (thanks to Richard Smith for
explaining it - I'd never have worked it out for myself!). I'm in the
process of downloading them all and will make them available on the web,
with a (text) file for each year. The downloaded version includes all email
addresses and all of the email headers, and I will strip these out (apart
from the sender's name, date & time, and message number) to make it tidier
and to prevent the addresses being used by spammers. This is going to be
very time-consuming, so it might be a while before they appear on the web!"

Well done David. But what is the purpose of producing files for each year?
The size of the archive is not unmanageable at the moment (especially if you
start pulling out the headers, etc). If anyone wants to search the archive
on a particular subject they will have to word search each file manually.

An alternative is to also put a search engine on your website and use that
to probe the archives.

Or perhaps do one of each?

DrL

from any virus transmitted.