[Bell Historians] FWRe: Liverpool pro-Cathedral

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Jul 1 23:50:09 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Re Giles' contribution of 8.20 p.m. yesterday below, he may fid it worthwhi=
le to compare it with my similar one posted at 9.31 a.m.=20=20
Re the "joint" parish churches, St Peter & OLSN (Pierhead) - others have po=
inted out cases where there are two parish churches in one benefice (theref=
ore two parishes); or a chapel-of-ease and a parish church (in one parish),=
and frequently parishes are joined such that both "The Church of St X and =
the Church of St Y shall be Parish Churches of the Parish." In each case th=
ere would only be one Rector or Vicar, however many other clergy there were=
. What I was claiming as unique about Liverpool (until Rev Brooks' death in=
1855) was that there were two beneficed rectors of one parish (which had t=
wo churches), and it is their names which appear on the St Helen's bells, e=
x-St Peters, and their predecessors were on the Dobson bells at Pierhead.

Anything from anybody about the "bell of the peal" which was supposed to ha=
ve gone to a temporary position in the new Cathedral (and which never becam=
e a part of the present ring) ?

DLC=20
----- Original Message -----=20