Cast maker's plates from Mears & Stainbank.

philholtsdgr pippolucas23 at a...
Fri Jul 2 23:29:28 BST 2004

At my home tower,Holt, Wiltshire, we have a bell-metal? founders
plate which was discovered in the bell-chamber, and is now displayed
in the ringing chamber. It reads "MEARS AND STAINBANK BELL-FOUNDERS,
WHITECHAPEL RD.,LONDON", the background being green, and was
obviously supplied when the bells were re-cast in 1925.
Four questions. Are plates like these common? Were they peculiar to
Whitechapel? Are they in fact bell-metal? & was the background always
green?
Phil Lucas