[Bell Historians] Cast maker's plates from Mears & Stainbank.

David Bryant david at b...
Fri Jul 2 23:34:52 BST 2004

> Four questions. Are plates like these common? Were they peculiar to
> Whitechapel? Are they in fact bell-metal? & was the background always
> green?

Can't answer all of this, but if my memory serves me correctly there's one at St Mary's Taunont (M&S 1922). We've got some more recent bell metal plaques by Taylor's in the ringing chamber at York Minster - they were cast to commemorate several things. Incidentally, the shield at the centre of the 12-bell trophy (and the roses one too) is of bell metal and cast by Taylor's.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/