[Bell Historians] Cast maker's plates from Mears & Stainbank.

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat Jul 3 18:18:43 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Founders' name-plates - the most favoured location seems to have been the E=
llacombe Chiming Apparatus. They were very much a Victorianism, carried ove=
r. Many founders used them, but they are not un-collectable. I recently acq=
uired a Warner one from St Mark's, Jersey, where I had avised on the bell i=
nstallation in 1970, the bells being rehung in 1974. The old Ellacombe was =
chucked up in the church roof. I mentioned its former existence to Jack Wor=
rall, who knew exactly where it had gone and kindly rescued the plate and g=
ave it to me - 30 years on! It is a standard one, in this case of cast iro=
n, painted black. Warners did do some quite elaborate ones with the Royal A=
rms - there was a beuatiful one at Ash-by-Sandwich, Kent until the bells we=
re removed for rehanging & augmentation. I was amongst the KCA members part=
icipating in the work and it was still there when bells and frame had gone,=
but not when they returned. Most plates that I have seen look as if they =
are cast iron or brass but the ones on Harrington's tubes are of the same m=
etal as the tubes (80:20). Mears & Stainbank plates are I think not all tha=
t common.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20