[Bell Historians] G&J business practices

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sun Jul 4 15:23:01 BST 2004

> > There is a story that when it was decided to put a ring of 8 in at Christ
> Church, Bradford on Avon, Sam Hector (a Trowbridge ringer and gardener to
> the donors) went round the various foundries asking how much they would
> offer him to put the contract their way. G&J installed the bells, and
> included a very indifferent set of handbells. I think Johnston paid for the
> tea after the dedication.
>
> Just think, we could have had an L&J eight!

Now there's an interesting thought.

> Anne Willis

1923, that was. There is nothing indifferent about the tower bells: they
are an extremely good ring both in casting quality and in tuning - as one
expects of Gillett & Johnston throughout the 1920s (cf Coventry, Petworth,
Alton...). Would that there were more of them.

C D