[Bell Historians] G&J business practices

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sun Jul 4 15:32:21 BST 2004

>From: "Andrew Wilby" <andrew at w...>

> It appears that Cyril Johnston had staged the publicity stunt, handed out
> the largess in the form of a free tea to something in the order of 3000
> ringers (can't remember the figure but it was big) and then defaulted on the
> catering bill. The caterer went bust over it and according to Doug
> committed suicide.

[Hmmm. G & J staged 3 of these gatherings: did the same thing happen at
each? CD]

> Clearly there were very strong emotions about G&J at Whitechapel and not
> without reason. Johnston's business practices were very dodgy to say the
> least. There are many sets of G&J handbell around acquired by Tower
> Captains who promoted the case for G&J to get the job to their Parishes
> even if their quote was worse than the competition. Yes we would now call
> it bribery and so it was then. There is evidence to suggest they he had
> local agents in many areas including around Towcester in positions of
> authority who promoted his business without declaring an interest.

[Freemasonry, I believe, served the same purpose for another foundry. CD]

> I suspect the lack of mention of G&J on the current Bow Tenor is in part a
> reflection of all this.

[In part, no doubt.

Cyril J may indeed have sailed a bit near the wind, but he wasn't the only
one, and his foundry certainly produced some marvellous bells, especially in
the 1920s and 30s. CD]