Chester Cathedral

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Sun Jul 4 19:03:32 BST 2004

--- Arthur Whiting in his booklet 'The Bells of Chester Cathedral'
states:-
'In February 1969, nine of the ten bells were removed from the
central tower to the bell foundry of John Taylor & Co., at
Loughborough to be recast as a ring of twelve with a flat sixth.------
-In the central tower were left Henry Oldfield's bell of 1606 (No. 8
in the ring of ten bells) and William Clibury's Prayer Bell of 1626.
The details of Oldfield's bell are given as:-
H+O NOS SVMS CONSTRVCTE
AD LAWDEM DOMINI
On soundbow + DECANUS ET CAPITVLVM CESTREI
ME FECERVNT ANNO 1606

Diameter 47 inches.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...> wrote:
> > The bells (8 of them) were taken out of the central tower in 1969.
>
> Nine of them, surely? As I understand it, only the 8th was left and
this now hangs dead in the old frame (or is it still on the ringing
headstock with wheel, etc, removed?)

at: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm