[Bell Historians] Re: Liverpool Cathedral Bells

John Camp camp at b...
Sun Jul 4 23:29:16 BST 2004

At 22:53 on 04 July 2004, combineharvestersam wrote:
> There is another story about Liverpool Cathedral. Some feel very
> stongly that it is true and people also feel very strongly that it is
> rubbish.

> When the bells were hoisted into the tower, the 9th bell fell from
> the hoist, dropped all the way through the bell traps, killed two
> blokes and smashed on the floor of the nave. The bell hangers were
> very embarressed at this and got some sort of injunction that it
> could not be published what had happened. The bell was then recast
> with the original date on.
> Apparently there was a blank page in the Liverpool Echo where the
> story was going to be published and it was stopped going to print at
> the last minute.

I've never heard the story before. However, I am firmly in the second
category. How on earth would an injunction have been obtained in such
circumstances? All a defendant has to do is to say that something is
true and an interim injunction won't be granted. The publisher will
then have to prove it at trial.

In any case, it would surely have been impossible to keep something
like that quiet. And wouldn't there have had to be an inquest?

In fact it's clearly bollocks.

john Camp