[Bell Historians] Bells in museums

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Tue Jul 6 14:11:38 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Don't know about the British Museum, but there are or were certainly a numb=
er in the courtyard of the V&A. Also there is kept the Warner Collection of=
Founders' Marks and bits of a lot of interesting bells (including one or t=
wo pieces of pre-1920 Mangotsfield !) - RWMC made a catalogue of them.

Bells which come to mind immediately to me are:

Canterbury, Heritage Centre (the Poor Priests' Hospital):
Former tenor of 3 from St Giles, Kingston, Kent - W le Belyetere, Canterbur=
y c1325. Full details of Kingston are on http://kent.lovesguide.com - a los=
t ring of three.
Former tenor of three (2-1-8) ex St Mary Bredin, Canterbury (destroyed in B=
litz) R Kerner, Canterbury, with arabic date 1505 -see my Christmass articl=
e in the RW, "The lost churches and bells of Canterbury". It is just about =
to appear on lovesguide, I am assured :)
Part of the inscription band and a canon of the former Boughton Aluph tenor=
- full details in Lovesguide. A lost 5, scrapped by G&J.

Dover Museum used to have the former Market House Bell (J Clifton c1630) an=
d the bells from Kearsney 'Abbey' (Mears). Museum relocated, bells in store=
.

St Peter Hungate, former Church Museum. The 3 bells ex Burlingham St Andrew=
, on view since c1935 are going to be rehung for chiming in the old 6-bell =
frame at New Buckenham, whose 6 bells are to be augmented to 8 and hung low=
er down the tower. The crown of the old St George Colegate 2nd of 3 and the=
old St Peter Hungate former 2nd of 3 are in store; the sanctus bell is sti=
ll up the tower.

Bristol Museum has the medieval West Hatch bell in store now - oh that it w=
as welded and sent back there to replace the indifferent specimen of L&J's =
workmanship. Also now in store the Eastville Union Workhouse bell. The smal=
l bell ex St Ewen, Bristol, now removed from the museum store and hung in C=
hrist Church as a sacring bell. In the main hall of the museum the huge Chi=
nese bell (several tons of it) from Berkeley Castle.

Leicester Museum doesn't believe in bells and is just putting its interesti=
ng collection of turret clocks into store - not the one from St Mary de Cas=
tro, though. We are collecting it in the next couple of weeks (the oldest t=
urret clock in the city I think) and going to set it up in the church.

There must be hundreds of bells in museums up and down the country.

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20