[Bell Historians] Bells in museums

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Tue Jul 6 13:00:26 BST 2004

Devizes Museum aka Wiltshire Heritage Museum
former 2/2 Monkton Deverill by Richard Lott, 1703, with inaccurate
description of Lott's parentage, which the curator will not alter. It
nearly went forscrap when the church was made redundant. See Bells and
Belfries of Dorset, part I, p.178, for the fate of the treble, one of the
oldest bells in Wiltshire.

Also at Bristol Museum and Art Gallery is a most magnificent Chinese bell.
Sadly it stands on a plinth, so it is unable to sound.

Anne Willis

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:david at b...]
Sent: 05 July 2004 14:03
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bells in museums

Has anyone made a list of bells in museums? Here are some I can think of:

Shaftesbury - two bells (4th and 5th of former six at Holy Trinity,
Shaftesbury)
Exeter - one bell (former 4/6, Halse, Som)
Bristol - one bell (fomer 4/5 at West Hatch, Somerset)
Stamford - one bell (?)

Can anyone think of more?

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/