Leeds (Yorks)

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Jul 8 14:54:56 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Giles Blundell"
<GRBlundell at a...> wrote:
> From: "Andrew Aspland" <aaspland at y...>
>

> Dear All
> I am gathering information about the history of bells and
bellringing at
> Leeds St Peter with a view to publishing a book. In History of
Change
> Ringing Vol 3 Wratten quotes much about the Leeds Youths (pp156-
168) but he
> does not give his sources. We have a couple of ringing books
packed out
> with information from the 18th and 19th centuries but not all the
same stuff
> as Wratten. Does anyone know anything about the whereabouts of his
sources?

> Any other relevant information appreciated!
>
> Andrew
>
> - I have to admit (though I am sure it is immediately apparent)
that I am totally ignorant and have never opened Wratten.
Furthermore, I am reading on digest so this point may very well have
been tackled.

> But didn't the Leeds Youths belong to Kent? I thought they were the
bunch who rang the extent on 8 by shifts.

> Cheers
>
> Giles Blundell

Absolutely right! The Leeds Youths Cyril Wratten wrote about (both
in "History of Ringing" and an excellent series of articles in the
Ringing World in the early 1980s) were the band from Leeds, Kent,
lead by James Barham (an article on him can be found in "Giants of
the Exercise").