[Bell Historians] Re: Sheldon St.Giles

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Mon Jul 12 10:52:27 BST 2004

richard.offen at o... writes:

Can anyone explain why there seems to be a gap between the epoxy pad
and the headstock on each of the bells with canon retaining
headstocks?

The headstocks rest on "lugs" which protrude below the level of the base of
the stock. These can be machined to adjust the hang of the bell as required. It
is a good way of doing this in my opinion. I make my headstock in a very
similar way (but from steel).

A light ring has been hung recently (by a different contractor), which have
had the canons (except for the top inch or so) completely buried in resin. As
they can't be seen now - it makes me wonder why they were ever kept in the
first place.

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,