[Bell Historians] Re: Canon retaining headstocks

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue Jul 13 15:22:07 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> > I think you'll find that it's more a case of being physically
> > impossible with these designs to get the clapper dynamics right,
not
> > that they haven't been taken into account. Which is why the firms
> > who are concerned about the standard of their work have designed
> > better products!
>
> I'm sure that with decent (i.e. hoop type rather than arched) canon
retainers it is quite possible to get the timing right. One of the
tower I look after, the Spurriergate Centre in York, has a nice six
with all bells having modern (1986) hoop type canon retaining stocks.
The bells aren't sluggish, are well timed as a ring and don't strike
too slowly. In fact, their timing is considerably better than that of
some other rings in the area with normal cast iron headstocks.

> David

That is exactly what I was saying. With the 'hoop' headstocks you
describe, as fitted by Taylors, Whitechapel and others, it is
perfectly possible to get the dynamics right, that's why they use
them. It's the other designs, coffin, pot, arched, etc that cause
trouble which is difficult, if not impossible to cure!