**SPAM** Re: [Bell Historians] Warwickshire War Work

Richard Grimmett richard at g...
Wed Jul 14 15:55:38 BST 2004

charset="Windows-1252"

Its just that I distinctly remember having to write Birmingham,
Warwickshire in my address until Birmingham became part of the West
Midlands.

Mike Chester:
Depends upon your point of view. Long before 1940 Birmingham was a
city borough and therefore not technically part of the administrative
county of Warwickshire. Of course, other parts of the city have been
hived off from Staffordshire and Worcestershire over the years.

Chris Pickford is working on a new edition of C B of W and is going
to include a section on Birmingham. I'll let him be the final
arbiter of whether or not I need to add the central Birmingham towers
to "my" website!

---