[Bell Historians] post-war rings

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Jul 14 23:53:42 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Both Mears & Stainbank and Gillett & Johnston were heavily involved in the =
production of precision castings in WW2; as also was James Barwell & Sons, =
who were still casting small bells.

TSJ gives a full; account of JT & Co's activities in WW1 and 2. And one mus=
t not forget that Warner's had that huge Admiralty contract (after which th=
eir "Battleship" and "Dreadaught" frames are named). As stated before on th=
is site, they were paid in kind, often with shell cases they had made thems=
elves - zinc rich, as the good people of Mangotsfield were to discover.

DLC=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: RE: [Bell Historians] post-war rings

> Certainly Taylors were involved with the war effort. I have seen
> correspondence (c1947) with Netheravon with words to the effect that th=
> firm would put them in the queue for work to be done, after they had
> finished with war work. Sorry, can't remember which bell they recast.

There's a fair bit on it in Trevor Jennings' history of the foundry.

David

--=20

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

tp://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20