[Bell Historians] post-war rings

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sat Jul 17 12:51:42 BST 2004

> TSJ gives a full; account of JT & Co's activities in WW1 and 2. And one
> must not forget that Warner's had that huge Admiralty contract (after which
> their "Battleship" and "Dreadnaught" frames are named). As stated before on
> this site, they were paid in kind, often with shell cases they had made
> themselves - zinc rich, as the good people of Mangotsfield were to discover.
>
> DLC

I've a feeling that the subject may have been aired previously on this list,
but please could we have clarification of which of the Warner types of steel
frame were called 'Dreadnought' and which 'Battleship'? Shoreditch for
instance. My impression from such contemporary literature as I have read is
that it was not Warners themselves who applied the term(s).

The type of frame used at Bredon, St Mary de Lode, Aldbourne, etc. - with
individual sides standing on RSJs - was certainly called 'Cantilever' by
Warners themselves, though I have never been quite clear why.

C D

P.S. I accept that the Taylor 1946-47 rings I quoted were not the earliest
rings cast post-War (they might not even have been Taylors' earliest).
Apologies for that. Haste is not a good accompaniment to an increasingly
fuzzy memory.