Bell Recordings

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Sun Jul 18 03:14:13 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Humphreys" <pfh at w...>
wrote:
> I believe the topic of making recordings of bells may have been
> discussed here before I was a subscriber. So apologies for
> resurrecting...
>
> I am considering the purchase of some suitable 'recording
equipment' in
> either Minidisk of MP3 format for making recordings of church bells.
> Does anyone have any experience of recording with such equipment
and be
> in a position to offer any relevant advice?
>
> I have scoured the internet for specifications of MP3
recorder/players
> but they all specifically refer to voice recording from an inbuilt
> microphone.
>
> Is stereo recording too ambitious/costly?
>
> Initially recordings would be for use on a website (Wirral Branch,
CDG)
> but I may extend to producing a CD or even a DVD with photographs
of the
> relevant churches at some future date.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Peter

If it's any help, I use a Sony minidisc recorder (a fairly top of the
range one admittedly) with the stereo microphone that was supplied
with it and have had some excellent results. Like all bell
recordings, care has to be taken when positioning the microphone,
but, other than that I've encountered no problems with this system.

Being digital, the system is a fantastic aid when judging striking
competitions as you can go instantly to any track you wish to - much
easier to find the team that you want to listen to again without
having to keep winding/rewinding a cassette tape!

Richard