[Bell Historians] Bishop Latimer, Birmingham

Stuart Hutchieson stuart.hutchieson at n...
Fri Jul 23 18:57:35 BST 2004

From: "Michael Wilby" <michael at i...>
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bishop Latimer, Birmingham
> What was the story behind the installation and subsequent removal of
> this ring? Does anyone have any pictures of the church, or bells?

Wow, it's quiet on the lists at the moment. Well, I'll bite - here are the
basics as I know them:

The tower was built in 1903 and a single Taylor bell installed in 1904. In
1958 the old bells from St John's, Deritend, Birmingham were removed from
that church prior to its demolition. The metal was used to cast seven bells
to match the 1904 bell producing a ring of eight.

1. John Taylor & Co. 1958 4.0.6 F
26"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 we are placed here by
subscription in the year mdcclxxvi thos' cox minister

2. John Taylor & Co. 1958 4.0.26 E
26½"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 health & happiness to
all our worthy subscribers r. wells fecit mdcclxxvi

3. John Taylor & Co. 1958 4.2.7 D
28¼"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 r. wells aldbourne
fecit mdcclxxvi

4. John Taylor & Co. 1958 5.0.3 C
29¾"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 may the town of birm
be ever held in esteem for its manufactr r. wells fecit

5. John Taylor & Co. 1904 6.0.14 Bb
31¾"

hooper bishop & martyr born 1495 martyred 1555

6. John Taylor & Co. 1958 7.1.16 A
34"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 wisdom to the council
of the state & success to the bristish fleet r. wells fecit mdcclxxvi

7. John Taylor & Co. 1958 10.0.12 G 38"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough 1958 may great britain ever
stand unrivalled in her commerce r: wells f: mdcclxxvi

8. John Taylor & Co. 1958 14.0.8 F
42½"

recast by john taylor & co loughborough r. wells of aldbourne fecit
mdcclxxvi recast 1958 cecil h smyth vicar owen r green henry a hipkiss
wardens to the glory of god part of the expense of restoring these bells was
defrayed by the barron bell trust 1958 emma barron founder h w eldred k c
walrond e r pennell trustees

Local controversy silenced the bells by 1965 and in 1972 the entire
installation was taken down and transferred to St John's, Perry Barr.

I don't have any pictures yet but the tower is still there and someone has
to go past it sometime. Stuart