Bishop Latimer, Birmingham

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat Jul 24 22:59:19 BST 2004

charset="Windows-1252"

MessageFirst of all, to Richard's letter:

Mr Smyth, whose name appears on the recast tenor, was very proud of the new=
bells and was most disappointed at the outcome. CJP thinks I am unfair in =
suggesting that the place was destined to be "useful as a peal factory" (my=
words) and in fairness to the SMG, I think that the number of volunteers t=
o learn was equally disappointing.

He was succeded in 1971 by the Revd A. J. F. Voake, and it was he, not Mr S=
myth, who didn't like (the) bells - and they were gone within the year!

The present Rector is the Revd R. F. Bashford, who has been there since 198=
1.

The story about GF with the rope being mistaken for the Executioner is quit=
e possibly true. The bells were dedicated in 1959 and in the time they were=
there, only one execution took place at nearby Winson Green Prison (in Aug=
ust 1962). Two years later hanging was abolished.

Coming now to Neil's query, I don't know about the Deritend peal boards. If=
they aren't at Perry Barr, the chances are that they did not go to Latimer=
's (they are not there now). Remember that Deritend was demolished in 1944,=
and little care was taken of so many things at the time.

Going up that mighty tower at Latimer's is depressing. The tower is on the =
south side, at the junction of nave and chancel. A short staircase leads up=
to the high ringing room, into which the back of the organ intrudes. There=
are large and lofty gothic windows. A long draught - there was formerly a =
home-made rope-guide, also an Ellacombe chiming apparatus. The place is bar=
e and bleak now, with only the rope-holes to remind one that there were eve=
r bells there. An iron ladder up the wall brings you into the belfry. The t=
wo sets of foundation joists remain, amongst which is hung a tiny 19thC bra=
ssfoundry-type bell, wholly unworthy of the church. There is a secondhand 3=
-cwt bell on the ground floor of the tower, by Barwell, but it was never hu=
ng. Another long ladder takes you to the roof. NB - the place in infested w=
ith pigeons.

Strangely, another church whose bells ring elsewhere has a total immersion =
font - St Mary's, Lambeth where I rang several times, the bells fittings an=
d frame being transferred to Caterham Valley about the same time as Perry B=
arr received the bells of Bishop Latimer's.

DLC=20

----- Original Message -----=20