[Bell Historians] Early sets of Handbells

Willbutler at a... Willbutler at a...
Tue Jul 27 17:32:02 BST 2004

The earliest set of handbells I've found is at the Mary Arden House and
Country Museum. I examined the bells in the 1980s and found them to be a set of
Cor bells, twelve in number, which had originally come from Shipton-on-Stour. I
would date them from about 1690 to 1710. They were not all cast at the same
time as they were by different members of the family. I'm afraid I cannot be
more specific as I'm unable to lay my hands on my records, but "Musical
Handbells", pp 22 and 23 discusses them.

WB