[Bell historians) Handbells at Proms Concert

philholtsdgr pippolucas23 at a...
Tue Jul 27 17:06:27 BST 2004

I was informed a while ago, that the original makers of handbells was
Robert Wells at the Aldbourne Bell-foundry. As the only ones I've
seen bear initials only, one can't tell if it was father or son.
I know of two sets; one set of six hanging in the pub at Sutton Veny,
in Wiltshire, with original fittings except the treble; the other set
were purchased by a former NSM for his new English Catholic church,
since closed at Worton nr Devizes, and if I remember rightly were a
aet of 12.
Phil Lucas