[Bell Historians] Re: Wavertree, Liverpool, St Thomas

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Jul 27 20:52:01 BST 2004

DLC:

"Very many thanks. Any idea of founder and date (they are not in Warner's
1877 or 1911 catalogues, nor in Mears' 1885, 1891, 1895, 1912, 1920, and I
don't think anyone (in England) else cast hemispherical bells as tower
instruments - or at least, advertised them ! I look forward to being sjot
down in flames on the last point, especially in view of "Strange Sounds from
the Belfry" !"

Taylor's? There was a set by them at a now-demolished church in Lincoln -
full details in JRK's Lincolnshire book.

Incidentally, when were sets of hemisphericals for churches last supplied?
The latest I know of are a set of three by Whitechapel 1914 at a church in
York, but I haven't studied the history of said instruments in any depth.