[Bell Historians] Single bell in Leicester

George Dawson George at d...
Thu Jul 29 08:55:10 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

> George Dawson wrote:-
>=20
> "FEOFFEE GAVE THIS BELL 1823
>=20
> The bell has traditional canons, and most interestingly has as a decorati=
on
> the running border used by the Nottingham founders [Lincs 160]. Now the o=
nly
> early 19th century founder doing facsimile inscriptions that I know of
> is.................................................Whitechapel."
>=20
>=20
> Is it possible for you to give the approximate weight, note and and
> dimensions of the bell?

The bell is of course inacessible & the details are as the result of a care=
ful binocular inspection, though the guano stains made it difficult to read=
. I would have said the diameter was about 22", so weight about 1 1/2 to 2 =
cwt. As the bell is unswingable and probably unsafe ( David here is your ch=
ance to get it removed!) the note was not determined.
I would be interested to know of which body DLC is the FEOFFEE, & how it ca=
me to be at the school buildings.
Reference the wine/tea controversery at the Vicarage, tea (or coffee) befor=
e peal attempts is the appropriate beverage. I will have to drop in at othe=
r times.

GAD