[Bell Historians] Riverside / Chicago (was Oakham G&J)

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Sat Jun 12 21:35:16 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dcawley at w...>
wrote:
> Don't have the Riverside figures to hand, but Chicago University
were being cast at the same time. Again 72 bells, this carillon in
C#.

The fact that the Chicago carillon may be better than Riverside may
lie in the fact that it was cast as a complete instrument at the same
time, and remains the largest and heaviest to have been so done.
There is a sound clip on the North American Carillons site with the
bass bells swinging. There is an excellent article on the carillon
in The Society of Engineers Journal & Transactions Vol xx111
July/September 1932, No.3.
Riverside carillon was composed of new bells from G&J and the Park
Avenue Baptist Church carillon. The Van Bergen bells have been
replaced by Whitechapel.
I understand that Van Bergen would have had the lot out were it not
for the difficulties in getting the big ones out.
On Oakham, I was told today that in 1910 the church was advised to
have the bells weighed on arrival because the figures supplied by G&J
were not always accurate. I don't know if they did. Looking at
Nigel Taylor's figures for the tenor, they should have done!