[Bell Historians] Riverside / Chicago (was Oakham G&J)

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Sun Jun 13 13:18:12 BST 2004

> All this comes from Jim Hedgcock saying that he couldn't lay his
hand on the Riverside figures; neither can I. The late Jim Lawson
told me that Chicago is a far better instrument (not least because of
the tower, and not having had 3/4 of its bells replaced by van
Bergen). As I had the data to hand, it seemed worth sharing for
anyone who is interested.

> DLC

The van Bergen bells were recast at Whitechapel a couple of years
ago. I gather the restored carillon is much improved as a result,
although I haven't heard it yet - the recital I was going to listen
to when I was there last year had been cancelled for some reason
(probably heard I was in town!).