Easingwold / G&J

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Mon Jun 14 21:40:11 BST 2004

Easingwold details are in the Gillett tuning books at Croydon Library - book 8 p.119. Write to Alan Buswell at 12 Park Road, Denmead, Waterlooville, Hants, PO7 6NE or contact Chris Bennett, the archivist at Croydon Library for details

Wolverhampton are one of G&J's early rings - a major commission at a time when their Simpson tuning was still under development. It's a while since I rang there too, but I think Andrew is being a bit harsh. They have many characteristics of Gilletts' early and evolutionary work - rather blunt trebles and wheezy-sounding back bells, even though the overall sound is true-harmonic of a sort. We're getting more critical nowadays. I have a feeling that Wolverhampton were over-rated in times when folk were less good at picking out harmonics. They ain't spot on by any means, but does imperfect have to mean bad?

We rang at Coleman's Hatch in Sussex on Saturday - G&J 1913. Pleasant overall, but far from perfect tuning and with some very odd sounds. The trebles are a bit like meat-plates being smashed on a china stall at the village fete, but less "twangy" than some of the period.

Also rang at Withyham (Taylor 1908), and very nice too

CP