Wolverhampton pitches

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Tue Jun 15 09:12:53 BST 2004

Measured April 1990, using the Steve Ivin method (oscillator, probe and cent
meter), by Richard Jones, David Hull and me. I have given the pitches in
cents (in equal temperament obviously, which the bells aren't), in the order
Nominal, Fundamental/Prime, Hum, Tierce, Quint.

Whatever the merits/demerits of the bells themselves, I think that in
assessing their tonal quality one MUST detach tower acoustics and current
clapper characteristics from the equation. The word 'crap' is not in my own
campanological vocabulary, but I did note that the treble and third sounded
as though they needed to suck throat lozenges. I also noted variations in
the soundbow profiles both internally (after machine-tuning) and externally,
and that the treble is markedly taller than the second.

N F H T Q
Treble G#-28 G#-32 G#-25 B -42 D#-20
2nd F#-35 F#-28 F#-35 A -40 C#-36
3rd F -52 F -38 F -47 G#-54 B +18