[Bell Historians] Re: G&J tuning

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Tue Jun 15 15:40:30 BST 2004

G & J were particularly keen to get the upper partials spot on in
their carillon bells. These partials are much more prominant in
stationary bells than swinging ones, where the Doppler effect dampens
them out. To my knowledge, they were certainly tuning (and
succeeding to get right) the three major thirds above the nominal,
octave fifth, octave nominal and the super octaves in bigger bells.

Spot on to what though. The tuning forks that they used, which are in the corner here, are far from accurate, especially by today's "to the cent" tuning that some of the carillon consultants insist on. For example, I've just picked up the first one to hand, marked 760 Hz - is actually 756.7 Hz - 8 cents flat! They get much worse higher up.

Andrew