[Bell Historians] Wolverhampton

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Tue Jun 15 21:22:25 BST 2004

"The result (as I'm sure you all saw from his figures) is that the
bells are true harmonic to within a few cents, the quints are all
good, and the nominals are pretty exactly Just, with no stretch. The
tierces scale evenly from -914 cents in the treble to -846 cents in
the tenor, a neat piece of design work. -914 cents is rather flat of
an equal minor third, -846 cents is exactly midway between a just
minor and a just major third."

Years ago (about 20) Peter Hayward told me that at Wolverhampton the treble
was a minor third and the tenor a major third and the bells in between
gradually went from minor to major! Not quite true but a good description!

Andrew