[Bell Historians] G&J Simpson rings

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Wed Jun 16 16:43:35 BST 2004

> I didn't ring on the old 8 at Bowdon, were they really that bad or
did
> they just suffer from having the wrong name on them and being in an
> affluent parish?
> --
> Colin Turner

I have spoken to several people whoi rang on the old Bowden eight,
most of whom described them as a very pleasant, "Gilletty", style
ring.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say they had the
wrong name on them. I always remember Ken Lewis telling me "Gillett
bells were never favoured in this area." It has to be said that,
although they are not the easiest to ring, the replacement Taylor
eight sound superb ...but then I like Taylor 18 cwt in E rings
(Heptonstall, Gravesend, Ilkley, Bideford, etc., etc.)!

R.