[Bell Historians] G&J Simpson rings

Colin Turner colin at p...
Tue Jun 15 22:46:10 BST 2004

One could best describe the sound of early G&J rings (Wolverhampton et
al) as "sinister". I have often wondered what the local ringers thought
the first time the pulled off their new bells, as someone correctly
identified these were experimental rings. They may well have been bought
on price alone (G & J were often guilty of cutting corners on their
hangings to get a job) so the band of a tower with one of their "new"
rings may well have not heard anything like them before.

I personally like G & J bells from this period, with razor sharp
trebles. It is possible to get extremely good ringing on them, however
alas with anyone trying less than 100% it is also possible to get
shocking ringing.

I didn't ring on the old 8 at Bowdon, were they really that bad or did
they just suffer from having the wrong name on them and being in an
affluent parish?
--
Colin Turner