Wye tenor was Wolverhampton tenor

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Jun 17 07:43:33 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jimhedgcock"
<jameshedgcock at h...> wrote:
> .
> > I still think that Bagshot are the most remarkable ring
drastically
> > tuned by G & J; they cut nearly 3 1/2 cwt. out of the tenor!
> > Nigel Taylor
>
> And on the occasion/s that Whitechapel had Wye tenor it has been
> considerably reduced in weight.

GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING - the weight quoted before the work at Wye
by Whitechapel, in the late 1970s, was the one supplied by Warners
after they restored the bells in 1913. Warners were infamous for
having a foot on the scales when they weighed tenors they had
restored (Tenterden tenor is another example of this), so it would be
best to ask Nigel Taylor if he can tell us how much was taken out
rather than jump to inaccurate conclusions!

Richard